These Bran Muffins (with molasses) are, hands down, the best bran muffins ever! I mean, these guys are the KING of the bran muffins! And that's no small feat since a good, much less GREAT, bran muffin is hard to come by. These muffins have even made bran muffins lovers out of the biggest haters!
In my quest to find a good bran muffin over the years, I choked down a lot of really bad bran muffins. I did it for the fibre and health benefits but the taste always left much to be desired. Then I was introduced to these Walnut Bran Muffins with Molasses....
I have been eating one of these bran muffins every day for breakfast for about the past 15 years. A healthy bran muffin is a great start to your day when it's chock-full of real and wholesome ingredients like:
- wheat bran,
- chia seeds
- wheat germ
I got this bran muffin with molasses recipe from my mother- in- law many years ago and she couldn't recall where it came from. She changed the recipe a little, then I changed it even a little more until I had achieved the perfect bran muffin.
One of the things I changed was adding chia seeds. Chia seeds add a ton of nutrients, while adding very few calories. You can read more about the health benefits of chia seeds HERE.
📖 Variations and storing
- You could add fruit (like blueberries) to this recipe or use a different nut. If I'm out of walnuts, I use pecans.
- You can use buttermilk, but you don't need to. I make my own by adding vinegar to milk (then I can use a lighter milk)
- I always double the recipe, then keep them frozen for freshness and easy access.
- They freeze really well and are of course, very portable. I grab one every morning to eat on the go or at my desk when I arrive at work.
- They go great with jam or butter, but seriously, they are sooo good, you don't even need to add anything to them!
If you've also been searching for the best bran muffin out there, I know you'll love these too. Unlike many other bran muffin recipes with molasses out there, they have a subtle taste and the molasses is not overpowering. Enjoy!
And if you're looking for even more bran muffin recipe ideas, then check out this Round up of 7 Crazy Delicious AND Healthy Bran Muffins!
📋 Bran muffins with molasses recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup canola oil you can use any vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk I use 1% but you can substitute 2%
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups natural wheat bran
- 3 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill muffin tins with paper muffin liners (these work the best in this recipe - I do not recommend making these muffins without using paper liners)
- Add 1 tsp vinegar to milk and set aside
- In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar, then stir in oil. Add molasses.
- in a separate medium bowl, mix flours, bran, wheat germ, baking powder and chia seeds together. Add to butter mixture and mix well. You can use an electric mixer for this part.
- Add baking soda to milk and stir. Add to mixture.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Fold in beaten eggs. Stir only until combined
- Fill paper filled muffin liners to top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 mins then transfer to cooling rack. Cool for 5 more minutes and serve.
⭐ Reviews Please leave a comment is you made this recipe! Please SUBSCRIBE (get my FREE E-cookbook) and be sure to FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST!