These Bran Muffins with molasses are, hands down, the best bran muffins ever! I mean, these guys are the KING of the bran muffins! And that's no small feat since a good, much less GREAT, bran muffin is hard to come by. These muffins have even made bran muffins lovers out of the biggest haters!
In my quest to find a good healthy bran muffin over the years, I choked down a lot of really bad bran muffins. I did it for the fibre and health benefits but the taste always left much to be desired. Then I was introduced to these healthy Bran Muffins...
I have been eating one of these healthy bran muffins every day for breakfast for about the past 15 years. A healthy bran muffin is a great start to your day when it's chock-full of real and wholesome ingredients like:
- wheat bran
- chia seeds
- wheat germ
I got this bran muffin with molasses recipe from my mother- in- law many years ago and she couldn't recall where it came from. She changed the recipe a little, then I changed it even a little more until I had achieved the perfect bran muffin.
💭Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
One of the things I changed was adding chia seeds to this healthy bran muffin. Chia seeds add a ton of nutrients, while adding very few calories. You can read more about the health benefits of chia seeds HERE.
- Berries: You could add fruit (like blueberries) to this recipe
- Nuts: You can use a different nut. If I'm out of walnuts, I use pecans.
- Buttermilk: You can use buttermilk, but you don't need to. I make my own by adding vinegar to milk (then I can use a lighter milk)
- Fridge: Store these muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: They freeze really well in an airtight container or Ziplock freezer bag for up to 6 months
👪 Serving and serving size
- This recipe makes 24 muffins. I always double the recipe, then keep them frozen for freshness and easy access.
- They go great with jam or butter, but seriously, they are sooo good, you don't even need to add anything to them!
- They muffins are very portable. I grab one every morning to eat on the go or at my desk when I arrive at work.
If you've also been searching for the best bran muffin out there, I know you'll love these too. Unlike many other bran muffin recipes with molasses out there, they have a subtle taste and the molasses is not overpowering. Enjoy!
And if you're looking for even more bran muffin recipe ideas, then check out this Round up of 7 Crazy Delicious AND Healthy Bran Muffins!
📋 Bran muffins with molasses recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup canola oil you can use any vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk I use 1% but you can substitute 2%
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups natural wheat bran
- 3 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill muffin tins with paper muffin liners (these work the best in this recipe - I do not recommend making these muffins without using paper liners)
- Add 1 teaspoon vinegar to milk and set aside
- In a large bowl, cream butter with sugar, then stir in oil. Add molasses.
- in a separate medium bowl, mix flours, bran, wheat germ, baking powder and chia seeds together. Add to butter mixture and mix well. You can use an electric mixer for this part.
- Add baking soda to milk and stir. Add to mixture.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Fold in beaten eggs. Stir only until combined
- Fill paper filled muffin liners to top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 mins then transfer to cooling rack. Cool for 5 more minutes and serve.
⭐ Reviews Please leave a comment is you made this recipe! Please SUBSCRIBE (get my FREE E-cookbook) and be sure to FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST!