This recipe came about because I really wanted cinnamon buns and I wanted them STAT. But I wanted them without all the work and time it takes to actually make them. I also didn't have any yeast; yeast is a little hard to come by these days...
So I made this Cinnamon Swirl Bread instead. With a simple and delicious 2 ingredient lemon glaze, this Cinnamon Bread is super easy and satisfying and it's just like eating a cinnamon roll, but in the form of an easy loaf!
Cinnamon Bread (with lemon glaze)
It's surprising what a fabulous pairing cinnamon is with lemon. Many years ago I learned that adding some lemon zest to your cinnamon bun dough is the secret to extraordinarily delicious Cinnamon Buns! And although I make mine in the bread machine, they still take considerably more time than this bread. And I really didn't have the time or energy required to mess around with making actual cinnamon rolls. So not only did I add a lemon glaze to the top of this cinnamon bread, I added some lemon zest to the batter. And WOW does it ever work!
My Overnight Cinnamon Sticky Buns are also quicker and easier than most cinnamon bun recipes out there, but I really didn't like the idea of having to wait overnight, nor did I have any frozen dinner rolls. Plus these days, there's not a lot of running out to the grocery store to get a couple of things. This quick and easy cinnamon loaf was the ideal solution!
Cinnamon health benefits
And the great news - cinnamon is really good for you! Cinnamon also contains large amounts of polyphenol antioxidants. Antioxidants can help protect the body from disease and are found in fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices. Some other health benefits of cinnamon noted are aiding in digestive discomfort and short-term reduction in blood pressure. You can read more about cinnamon's health benefits HERE.
Quick cinnamon bread
This cinnamon bread is a quick bread so you don't need yeast. Quick breads rise because they use chemical leaveners like baking soda, baking powder or cream of tartar instead of yeast. And quick cinnamon bread is exactly what I wanted when I set out to satisfy my cinnamon bun fix! It only takes a few minutes to prep and an hour to bake. And not only is it superb with a cup of coffee, it makes a great breakfast, a mid-morning snack or even dessert!
So if you're also looking for a quick and easy way to get your cinnamon roll fix, then give this bread a try. You won't be disappointed!
Cinnamon Swirl Bread with Lemon Glaze
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup powdered (icing) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9X5 loaf pan
- Beat shortening and white sugar together with electric mixer, then beat in eggs.
- Mix flour, baking powder salt and lemon zest together in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix sour cream and baking soda together and add to mixture.
- In another small bowl mix brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Add ½ the batter to the loaf pan.
- Then add ½ the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture.
- Mix in with a butter knife by cutting in and twisting knife in swirl motions in about 4 different spots.
- Then swirl it a little more. *You don't want to swirl too much (you'll want to have some white showing/color contrast) or it won't look as nice when you slice it.
- Repeat with remaining batter, then the rest of the cinnamon sugar and same cutting and swirling technique as above.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F, then turn down to 300 degrees F and bake for 10- 15 additional minutes or until cake tester or toothpick come out clean.
- Remove and cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on rack for another 5 minutes.
- Whisk lemon juice and powdered sugar together and pour over loaf.
- Let set in fridge for 5 minutes to harden glaze. Then sprinkle on a additional cinnamon. Slice and serve.
This recipe is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!