This easy oven Baked Apricot Chicken (with apricot jam) is a dream come true on those days when you have little to no meal inspiration and/or don't want to hit the grocery store, but want a delicious dinner! It's a one-pot meal that requires very little effort and uses staples from your pantry.
The Dijon mustard and sweet red chili sauce give this apricot sauce a nice little kick and using apricot jam with chicken is simply brilliant. I can say that because my Mom actually came up with the idea to use apricot jam in this easy chicken recipe. Surprisingly, this Baked Apricot Chicken was actually born out of a Honey Mustard Chicken recipe that my Mom used to make (and I didn't like).
Although, this recipe is amazing! But all the same, it's hard to tell your Mom that you don't like one of her signature dishes, especially when everyone else loves it and it's actually so well- loved that your Dad even requests it for his birthday dinner!
🐓5 Ingredient Chicken Recipes
I love 5 ingredient chicken recipes and uncomplicated dinner dishes; dishes you can dump and cook. My 5 Ingredient Caprese Sheet Pan Chicken Breast is another one of those quick and easy 5 ingredient recipes. If you love easy chicken dinners, you should try it!
I just changed my Mom's recipe a little and kicked it up a notch. For this apricot chicken recipe, you'll only need 5 ingredients (this recipe does NOT use soy sauce, as many do):
- Chicken thighs
- Dijon mustard
- apricot jam
- sweet red chili sauce
*See recipe card for quantities
- Apricot Jam: You can use homemade apricot jam, a jar of apricot preserves or another type of jam. I have used black currant jam/preserves for this recipe and it was amazing, but you could also use blueberry jam or preserves.
- Chili sauce: If you don't like the spice, use honey instead of the sweet red chili sauce.
- Chicken: I have also used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Butter: Butter makes everything better, but you could use a substitute to lighten it up or make it dairy-free. I would not recommend olive oil
- Mustard: if you don't have Dijon mustard, you can use stone ground mustard, or regular mustard
- Slow Cooker (Crock pot): you can make this is a slow cooker - cook on low for 2-2.5 hours or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature is 165 degrees f)
- Garnish: you could garnish with fresh apricots and/or sesame seeds, if you desire
🥗 Side dishes
I love to serve this over rice often serve this dish with frozen mixed vegetables because it's quick and easy, but it also goes well with:
- Green beans and Mushrooms
- Spinach salad with Honey Lime Cilantro Dressing
- garden side salad
- snap peas
- Quick Cucumber Kimchi
💭 Top tip
You may also want to dab some additional apricot jam and spoon some sauce onto the chicken prior to serving to make it look even more appetizing (like an apricot glaze)! I also sprinkled a little crushed red pepper on it.
I usually make this Apricot Chicken in a small roaster, (affiliate link) but you can make it in any type of casserole dish or baking dish.
👪 Serving Size
This chicken with apricot jam recipe makes 6 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The quantities will automatically adjust
Store this oven baked apricot chicken in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. You can freeze it in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
I have to say, though, Mom TOTALLY redeemed herself with this apricot jam chicken!
My Mom has known about my dislike for her Honey Mustard Chicken for a long time and unlike me, she doesn't take it personally when someone doesn't like her food. And now we will always have this delicious and Chicken with Apricot Jam to bond over. We actually do bond over easy food 🙂
So, if you're looking for an easy and delicious chicken dish, this baked apricot chicken (with apricot jam) is a recipe the whole family will love!
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74°C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Did you LOVE this apricot chicken recipe? If so, please leave a 5 start rating and comment below!
📋 Baked Apricot chicken (with apricot jam) recipe
- 2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs chicken breasts can be substituted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup apricot jam (or a cup of apricot preserves) * I prefer to use reduced sugar apricot jam - homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoon sweet red chili sauce
- additional apricot jam optional
- crushed red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an oven safe dish (casserole dish or small roaster) with non-stick cooking spray and place the chicken pieces on the bottom of the pan.
- In a separate small bowl, microwave butter for about 45 seconds, or until melted. Then whisk in apricot jam, Dijon mustard and sweet red chili sauce.
- Pour apricot sauce over raw chicken and place in preheated oven.
- Baking time is 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature is 165 degrees F), with turning halfway through baking.