One can never have enough chicken breast recipes, right? Especially simple, healthy chicken breast recipes. Chicken breasts are really a perfect food - they are easy, quick, delicious and so versatile. And this Balsamic Chicken with Roasted Tomatoes is no exception.
Easy enough for a quick weekday meal, but fancy enough to serve to company, a special dinner, or date night in, this chicken breast recipe is only 6 Weight Watchers points (if you use ALL the sauce, which you likely won't.)
The very first time I made this balsamic chicken recipe, I served it to company and it was well-loved!
This balsamic chicken is a great way to use up lots of fresh tomatoes! For this recipe, you'll need:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- plum tomatoes
- parmesan cheese
- balsamic vinegar (see explanation below)
- tomato juice
- olive oil
- chopped fresh thyme
- Dijon mustard
- granulated white sugar
*See recipe card for quantities
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Whisk together tomato juice, balsamic vinegar, oil and thyme, mustard, sugar and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, continue to boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside ¼ cup (for serving with chicken)
Cut tomatoes in half, lengthwise, and arrange in sprayed 9X13 pan. Then spoon ⅓ of the sauce over tomatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Pat chicken dry with paper towel, then skor chicken with fork (or use a meat mallet)
Coat the top of the chicken breast with remaining balsamic sauce (NOT from the reserved ¼ cup).
Bake in a preheated oven for 25-35 minutes, turning halfway through (at about 15 minutes) and spoon sauce over the chicken (from bottom of the pan), as you would if you were basting.
Cook until no longer pink inside and the internal temperature (inserted into the thickest part of the chicken) reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Serve with reserved sauce. Sprinkle tomatoes with a little more parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serve with baked potatoes and additional vegetables if desired.
Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
Having quality balsamic vinegar is pretty important, especially if it's the star of the show! And if you've ever had the misfortune of consuming a balsamic vinegar that's not good quality, between the bitterness and gagging, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. My favorite balsamic vinegar discovery is Kirkland Signature Balsamic Vinegar of Modena! I actually found this by chance, shopping at Costco, and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it is.
Then when I was researching balsamic vinegar for an article, I came across a taste test of "economical" balsamic vinegar, where Kirkland came out in FIRST PLACE! Several judges concurred that the aroma was the most interesting, with a hint of wood, it had the most viscosity and the best sweet-to-sour balance. One panelist said it was “brighter on the palate" and another said they could detect hints of cherries on the nose. Several judges said that it had the most pleasing finish. In sum, "it has an excellent sweet-to-sour balance and pleasing finish, especially for its price point." I'd definitely agree with that! You can read more about the balsamic vinegar taste test HERE.
So, if you're not up to paying $75+ for a bottle of top-notch balsamic vinegar aged 12+ years, then I think you'll be pretty happy with this one (this $21 bottle will last you a very long time):
Kirkland Balsamic Vinegar
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Thyme: you can substitute dried, but only use half the amount
- Tomatoes: you can use any type of tomato, including cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or even garden tomatoes
- Chicken: you can use skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts
- Parmesan cheese - you could use regular or fat-free parmesan cheese instead
🥗 Side dishes
Here are some suggestions for what to serve with this baked balsamic chicken:
- Everything Bagel Cloud Bread Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Onion Baked Potatoes in Foil (shown below) * you can prep them in advance
- Plain baked potatoes
- Greek Style Potatoes
- Greek Rice
- Brown rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Skinny Coleslaw
- Spinach salad
- Simple Side Salad
- Healthy Potato Salad
- Garlic bread
- Angel hair pasta
- Frozen mixed vegetables with Everything Bagel seasoning
When it's been a long day at work, this easy balsamic chicken breast recipe is my go-to meal. And you can't go wrong with a one-pan baked chicken recipe. Only a couple of minutes of prep and you have yourself a healthy and delicious meal. I usually serve this with baked potatoes because I can quickly throw them in the oven while I'm prepping the chicken and they are done at the same time! Easy Peasy.
This easy one-pan meal requires a 9X13 baking dish. I like to use a glass baking dish with a lid because it's very versatile and can be used for so many things beyond baking, including desserts (like my Skor Bar Dessert) as well dips, like my Nacho dip. I also recommend an instant-read thermometer - it's the best way to ensure your chicken is cooked, without cutting into it.
Store leftover chicken in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
👪 Serving Size
This balsamic chicken with tomatoes recipe makes 4 servings. However, you can half, double or triple it. Just click on the blue serving number and select the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
This recipe is Weight Watchers friendly @ 6 ww points per serving. Of course, it's less if you don't use ALL the sauce, which you likely won't.
Like I said, you can never have enough easy chicken recipes. So if you're looking for additional easy chicken breast recipes, give my low-carb 5 Ingredient Caprese Sheet Pan Chicken Breast a try!
📋 Baked Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon reduced fat parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup tomato juice
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 cloves of garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( 204 degrees C ).
- Whisk together tomato juice, balsamic vinegar, oil and thyme, mustard, sugar and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, continue to boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside ¼ cup (for serving with chicken)
- Cut tomatoes in half, lengthwise and arrange in sprayed 9X13 pan. Then spoon ⅓ of the sauce over tomatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Score chicken with fork.
- Coat with remaining balsamic reduction sauce (NOT from the reserved ¼ cup)
- Bake in a prdheated oven for 25-35 minutes, turning halfway through (at about 15 minutes) and spoon sauce over the chicken (from bottom of the pan), as you would if you were basting.
- Cook until no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degress C) . Serve with reserved sauce. Sprinkle tomatoes with a little more parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve with baked potatoes and additional vegetables if desired.
Katerina | Once a Foodie
You're right, you can't ever have enough one pan baked chicken recipes. The sauce sounds delish - thanks so much for sharing!
Thank you, Katerina!
A one pan baked chicken breast recipe that isn't boring is just what I'm always on the hunt for. This recipe looks simple to make, delicious and right up my alley. Thanks Terri!
Thank you, Colleen!
Darn! I was just at Costco today. Of course you can never have enough quick chicken recipes. I'll save this one for later.
Oh no, Bernice! Well, next time... the recipe will still be here 🙂
Love how this recipe is so easy and can just imagine the flavors! I can see this being equally delicious with chicken thighs, too!
Thanks, Lisa! Yes, chicken thighs would work too!
I love everything about this recipe. The tanginess and the one pan and my kids love it! Thanks for this great recipe:-)
I made this recipe for Monique's birthday dinner and what a hit this was!!!
Easy to do and great tasting as well!
Glad you guys loved it, Mike!!!