Greek rice is actually very simple to make and with my quick and Easy Greek Rice (with lemon) recipe, it's even simpler! This easy recipe is a shortcut recipe made with instant rice, quick, microwaved onions, and fresh herbs! It's one of my go-to side dishes or rice pilaf for any meal.
I learned to make this type of rice back when I worked in Greek restaurants many years ago. Fresh lemon and fresh herbs are key to spectacular Greek-style rice. Greek Rice is ideal for any time of the year, a great side dish, and pairs perfectly with my Greek Ribs (grilled) and Greek Chicken Souvlaki recipes!
For this Greek rice recipe, you only need a handful of simple ingredients:
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp garlic minced * I use minced garlic from a jar
- 4 cups instant rice * I use Minute Rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup lemon juice (from concentrate)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp water
*see recipe card for further details
Cook onion and garlic in the microwave with water on high for 3 minutes and 30 seconds- 4 minutes until soft (depending on the wattage of your microwave)
Alternatively, you could sautée the onions and garlic in a teaspoon of olive oil, in a skillet, on the stovetop.
Add the rice, broth, lemon juice, cooked garlic, and onion to the pot.
On stovetop, bring rice to a boil in liquid (without a lid) stirring at regular intervals. Then cover with lid, turn down to a simmer (3-4) for 5 additional minutes.
Remove from heat, keep the lid on and let it sit for another 5 minutes. The liquid should be fully absorbed.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Rice - you could use instant brown rice instead of white rice or a different type of rice *(but you will have to adjust the amount of liquid you are using according to the package directions on the type of rice you are using)
- Lemon juice - you could use fresh lemon juice instead of lemon juice from concentrate, but you'll need to double the amount and remove the same amount of water from the recipe
- Garlic - you can use fresh garlic or minced garlic from a jar
- Herbs -use fresh parsley and fresh dill for best results
- Vegetarian - you could use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and make it into a vegetarian dish
- Add-ins - feta cheese or spinach
🥗 Main Dishes to serve with Greek Rice
You could serve this Classic Greek lemon rice with many dishes, including:
- Greek Ribs (grilled) - shown below
- Maple Cider Grilled Chicken Kabobs (as a Greek rice pilaf)
- Easy Cornish Hens with Rosemary Wine Sauce
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki (as a Greek lemon rice pilaf)
Store leftover rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can freeze this rice for up to 3 months, but don't put the garnish on until serving.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes 8 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
You will be surprised at how this quick and easy recipe produces such fluffy rice. If you love Greek food and are looking for an easy side dish, you'll love this recipe!
Did you make this Easy Greek Rice recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋Easy Greek Rice (with lemon) Recipe
- lemon wedges or lemon zest
- additional fresh herbs
- Cook onion and garlic in microwave with water on high for 3 minutes and 30 seconds- 4 minutes until soft (depending on the wattage of your microwave)
- Add the rice, broth, lemon juice, and cooked garlic and onion to pot.
- On stovetop, bring rice to a boil in liquid (without lid) stirring at regular intervals. Then cover with lid , turn down to a simmer (3-4 on control) for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat, keep the lid on, and let it sit for another 5 minutes. The liquid should be fully absorbed when it's ready.
- Uncover the saucepan and stir in the parsley and dill.
- Garnish with additional herbs and lemon slices (optional) and serve.