When I think about having to make school lunches again, I want to hang my head and cry. Not only because it means summer is over, but mostly because making lunches sucks! And I know I'm not alone.... There are countless articles out there describing parents' mutual hatred for lunch making; here's one such description. Of course, being North American, I don't get the Marmite sandwich part of this article, but we can simply replace it with peanut butter and call it a day.
So, to counter the back to school bummers, I am sharing some school lunch ideas, including this one! This particular recipe is a simple minute rice cup recipe that's easy, healthy, unique and freezes well. These Award-winning Mediterranean Chicken and Wild Rice Cups can be popped into your kids' lunch box (or your own), shaking things up a little and making your life, as a lunch maker, simpler. These are 6 WW points each on the blue plan.
Let's face it, eating a cold sandwich out of a bag everyday gets really boring. My mission is to make lunch easier and a just a bit more exciting! (See even more lunch ideas under the recipe card!)
Even if your kids are lucky enough to have a microwave that actually works at school, they have to stand in line to use it, seriously cutting into precious lunch break time. I remember this from my university days. It gets to the point where it's not even worth it to bring food that requires heating. A thermos is handy but stewy/ soupy /casserole stuff just doesn't cut it all the time. These minute rice cups will avoid all of that!
This Easy Chicken Rice Cups recipe was the grand prize winner in the 2013 Wild Rice Council's "Chicken and Wild Rice Recipe Competition". It was a fun contest for me because I was only allowed to use 5 ingredients in addition to the set ingredients. My inspiration for the recipe was my love of Mediterranean flavors. But not to worry, it is also kid tested and approved! My kids love this recipe!
This was a chicken and wild rice competition, so in addition to a few set ingredients, I was only allowed to use 5 additional ingredients for this recipe, so it is easy to make!
- wild rice (affiliate link)
- brown rice *I use Minute Rice
- sun-dried tomatoes
- black olives
- feta cheese * I use light feta
- olive oil
- Garnish (optional): Tzatziki Sauce- use this easy homemade recipe or buy it!
💭 Top time-saving tips
- Rice: use the canned wild rice (no cooking required) as well as brown Minute Rice. If you can’t find canned wild rice, then use a fast cooking wild rice. Uncle Ben’s has a selection of wild/brown rice combos that cook quickly (10 minutes -that is very short for wild rice)!
- Garlic: use minced or pureed garlic from a jar.
- Chicken: use a grocery store rotisserie chicken.
I love having frozen lunch foods I can heat and pop into a lunch bag! It's like a little surprise gift I find in my freezer 🙂
- Make-ahead: This is an easy recipe with chicken and rice and you can make them ahead and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: They freeze well for up to 3 months.
- Reheat (for school lunches) : Then heat these rice cups up in the morning and wrap them in aluminum foil, just before putting them in an insulated lunch bag. Then your kids don't have to stand in line at the microwave. But if they do, remind them they cannot put the aluminum foil in the microwave! However, they still taste great lukewarm or even cold. *Send a plastic spoon and some Tzatziki sauce (this makes it even yummier) in a small Tupperware container and you have a tasty, interesting and healthy kids lunch or snack!
I take these in my own lunch all the time. Not only are they great for lunch, these rice cups are an excellent appetizer for potlucks, especially work potlucks!
💭Packed lunch ideas
I still fantasize about the day when I no longer have to worry about making my kids' lunches. And although my kids are technically old enough to make their own lunches, it still requires my involvement on too many levels, including supervision, planning, shopping, cooking and hounding. So, until that lunch-making free day comes, I will continue on with my mission to make packed lunches better for kids, but most importantly, easier for their parents!
So if you're looking for a great alternative to cold sandwiches, give these Chicken & Wild Rice Cups a try!
You're going to need a muffin tin (affiliate link) for this recipe.
📋Muffin Tin Recipes
And if you love stuff made in muffin tins, try one of my most popular recipes - my Maple Sausage Brunch Bites!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
🐓🍚Mediterranean Chicken and Wild Rice Cups Recipe
- muffin tin
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups brown rice * I use minute rice
- 1 ½ cups shredded Chicken * about 2 small chicken breasts or use rotisserie chicken
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 large eggs slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup Feta cheese I use light, crumbled
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F/205 degrees C. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook brown rice and wild rice as per package directions (or use canned wild rice, which requires no cooking)
- Cook chicken breast in olive oil on stove top over medium heat until no longer pink ** or use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken
- Finely chop sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and chicken in the food processor. If you do not have a food processor, they can be finely chopped with a knife.
- When rice is cooked, add eggs, chicken mixture, black olives, feta cheese and mix well.
- Press mixture into muffin tins, and fill to about ¾ full. * Make sure you pack it in well with a spatula to ensure the rice cups stay intact!
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Use a knife to loosen edges.
- Let cool another 5 minutes before removing.
- Gently remove with narrow spatula.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce, if desired. (This is really delicious!)