Superbowl is coming and although I’m not a huge football fan, I am a fan of all associated food.
Game day foods are extra special because we’re not just talking munchies like chips and pretzels here, folks! We are talking about scrumptious spreads of delicious real food – game day party food – which is one of my favourite kinds of food.
Even if you are trying to stay on track or even lose weight, this Greek-style phyllo pizza with feta, basil and tomatoes is still doable.
As far as tailgating food goes, it’s a little healthier than the typical. And healthier game day food can be hard to find.
I have stood staring at many a game day spreads wondering what I could possibly eat that’s the least bit healthy. And that’s what I love love love about this pizza appetizer!
This recipe makes 32 triangular pieces and they are snack- sized. I even managed to budget a few test pieces into my weight watchers points this week. However, I will give you fair warning – it’s addictive and pretty darn irresistible. Fortunately for me, my family devoured it before I even had a chance to long for more. It’s obviously also very kid-friendly as well.
Game Day, Dinner or Breakfast worthy!
Stacked with lots of fresh veggies and herbs, this pizza is is not only a great game day snack choice, it also makes for a delicious healthy dinner or breakfast. My family had it for both meals earlier this week (as well as snacks).
But I really think the magic is in the two cheeses and butter between every layer of this phyllo pastry that makes these filo pizza triangles extra divine! Hey, I didn’t say it was low-fat…. But seriously, this phyllo pizza is worth the fat and calories! And, like I said, I was still able to eat it while on the weight watchers weight loss plan.
If you are like me and NOT a last-minute person, you can make this game day snack ahead of time, which is always a good thing because it takes about 25 minutes to prepare, then another 25 minutes to cook.
My vegetarian Baked Artichoke & Cilantro Pizza Dip also makes a great healthy game day snack:
This pizza is great hot or cold, but it can easily be reheated before serving. And it’s always popular at a party or potluck. So, if you are looking for game day snacks that are make-ahead then give this veggie pizza appetizer a try!
Greek-style Veggie Phyllo Pizza
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed to thaw phyllo dough, follow package instructions-usually it's overnight in fridge
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 whole onion finely chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes sliced length-wise
- 1 200 ml can sliced black olives
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 28 g pkg of fresh basil
- Optional: other fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano or thyme can be used as well I used rosemary, but if you use rosemary, add only a little (2 tsp)
- Preheat oven ot 375 degrees C. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. * I use a (15.5 in X 11.5 in) jelly roll pan, as it is the PERFECT size!
- Melt butter
- Place first sheet of phyllo on baking sheet, lightly brush with butter then sprinkle with 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese and 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat above until all sheets are used.
- Press firmly so layers stick together and press excess pastry down at edges to make crust
- Chop onion and sprinkle top sheet with onion and dried oregano.
- Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella and feta cheese. Then add spinach and black olives.
- Slice tomatoes length-wise. Arrange tomato slices on top, then top with sprigs of fresh oregano (or basil, thyme or rosemary- whatever your preference) * I used basil and rosemary
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are golden.
- Cut into 16 squares, then cut each of those squares into halves (triangles).
This post is part of The Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck!