It's back to school time! And although my kids are now teenagers and making their own lunches most of the time, the lunch struggle is still very real. If my son could eat pizza every day, he would. And it's my job to manage that. So, when I heard about Pizza Dippers, I wanted to make my own healthier version.
These Healthy Pizza Dippers are healthier and simple to make because I make them with 2 ingredient dough (which is simply self-rising flour and non-fat Greek yogurt - see Top Tip to make your own self-rising flour), pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni or low-fat ham/other sandwich meat and light cheddar cheese. Pizza Dippers are a teenagers dream lunch.
These Healthy Pizza Dippers can be made ahead, frozen, heated or eaten cold, making them the perfect lunch box meal because they are ready to eat. You can also serve them with different dips or as an after-school snack or game day snack.
There are few things that make teenagers happier than pizza.... And when you have kids, you want to balance giving them treats to make them happy with making sure they eat healthy. These healthy pizza dippers are the best of both worlds- a healthy pizza treat!
Healthier pizza recipes are hard to come by. So if you're looking for a recipe for lunches, snacks or game day, give these a try! They are even Weight Watchers friendly. My kids have always eaten the same meals that I eat. There are no 'separate meals' in our house. And although they may be Weight Watchers friendly meals, they are simply 'healthy meals" and it's basic, healthy eating. That's also how I grew up - I didn't even realize that many of my Mom's recipes were Weight Watchers recipes. As parents, we want to set them up for success and that includes teaching them healthy eating habits. They also happen to love my Weight Watchers Pizza and it's the same 2 ingredient dough I use in this recipe. And this recipe is 3 WW points per piece on the blue plan!
For this recipe, you'll also need:
- pizza sauce
- shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- turkey pepperoni
- light parmesan cheese
💭 Top tip
Self-rising flour is all-purpose flour with baking powder and salt added.
To make your own:
PER CUP (remember: this recipe needs 1.5 cups so multiply ingredients by 1.5):
Combine 1. cup of all-purpose flour with 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt.
Pizza Dippers are the perfect healthy school lunch because they are a 'ready to eat school lunch.' And everyone knows that pizza is just as awesome cold as it is hot! And not every kid has access to a microwave. And given the times we're living in now, there may be no microwave access for those that used to have it. And even if there is, some would opt not to use it. Our school recently sent a notification that kids need to have a ready to eat lunch.
The bonus is that you can mix this lunch up with different toppings and dips:
Dips: ranch, Alfredo, marinara, chipotle, buffalo wing or simply pizza sauce- the dip possibilities are endless!
Toppings: regular pepperoni, turkey sausage, low-fat ham
🥗 Side dishes
I love to pack this lunch with:
- vegetables: carrot sticks or cucumber slices
- a healthy dessert.
Here are some healthy make-ahead and ready to eat dessert options to pair with this lunch:
No Bake Healthy Chocolate Rocky Road Bars (my daughter's friends were begging her to share this one!)
I've noticed that as kids get older lunches don't necessarily get any easier. You still have to plan it, buy the ingredients, make sure you are stocked with quick and easy things for them to grab. In fact, it can be harder because they get pickier.
And because I know my kids will have no option to heat up their lunch, this year poses even more school lunch challenges. The great thing about these Healthy Pizza Dippers is that they are a grab and go, cold lunch that can be made in advance and frozen. Teens can help make it and older teenagers can make it themselves with my simple step by step directions in the recipe instructions. So, if you're looking for packed lunch ideas for kids (and parents) of all ages, then give these Healthy Pizza Dippers a try!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
SEE MORE READY TO EAT LUNCH IDEAS UNDER THE RECIPE CARD!
📋 Healthy Pizza Dippers Recipe
- 1.5 cups self-rising flour *see NOTES for substitution
- 1.5 cups non- fat (0%) Greek yogurt * you can substitute regular Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup - of your fave pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar * or substitute light mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup turkey pepperoni or low-fat meat *15 thin sliced pieces
- 3 Tbsp light or non- fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 9X13 baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Stir together yogurt and flour until a thick dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it forms a dough ball. Add a little more flour if it's too sticky.
- Begin rolling dough, gradually spreading it evenly across the pan. You can use a rolling pin and/or your hands.
- Spread pizza dough out level to the edges on cookie sheet. Do not make crust at the edges
- Spread pizza sauce evenly,
- Then add cheddar cheese.
- Add meat, distributing evenly.
- Then add Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes
- Slice into 7 long pieces widthwise
- Then cut each piece in half, lengthwise. You will have 14 pieces
- And dip! * You can use pizza sauce, Alfredo sauce, marinara sauce, buffalo sauce, ranch or any sauce you wish.