There’s just something that compels me to make green food for St. Patrick’s day.
I came up with this St. Patrick’s Day Dessert recipe years ago and am just getting the chance to finally post it! These delicious Shamrock Tarts are an easy green dessert that will take you 20 minutes to throw together. Made with ready made pie shells (or tart shells), white chocolate pudding and whipped cream, they are easy and quick!
St. Patrick’s Day Desserts
If you’re like me and LOVE holiday themed food, you’ll love this green St. Paddy’s day dessert! I also love to make heart-shaped things for Valentine’s Day, pumpkin or Jack o’ latern stuff for Halloween stuff and bunny themed things for Easter! ! And green stuff for St. Patrick’s day is just plain FUN! Check out my other green desserts: Irish Cream St. Patrick’s Day Dessert Shots and Easy Pistachio Dessert.
Shamrock Shake Tart
I thought that these tarts tasted similar to the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake I remember having as a kid. But it’s been so long since I had one that I couldn’t exactly remember what it tasted like. So… I went and bought one! They’re only available for a very limited time and I was lucky to catch that wave and nab a tester! It was also a chance for my kids to try it, as they’ve never had one either. And I’m happy to report these Shamrock Tarts are sooo much better than the milkshake and my kids agree. Believe me, they’re a tough crowd.
I’ve never been a huge fan of mint or mint chocolate desserts, but mint and white chocolate is a game changer! However, it’s the hint of almond that really makes this recipe rise above all other mint chocolate recipes in existence! When I made this several years ago, it was truly an experiment that went right; I was simply trying to make mint chocolate better. And wow did it ever work! I couldn’t stop eating them. My husband said this is one of his very favorite things that I’ve ever made and I’ve made him A LOT of food over the 30+ years we’ve been together. So, if that’s not testimony to how good these are, I don’t know what is~!
Green is not a hard color to achieve when you’re just coloring white chocolate pudding and whipped cream. I usually prefer to use icing colors, but you can simply use a regular food coloring from the grocery store for these tarts. And I like the lighter green color for this dessert, as it looks more ‘minty’ and very springy too. So, if you’re looking for a green dessert for St. Patrick’s Day dessert, these guys won’t disappoint!
And if you need a carrier to get them to the St. Patrick’s Day party or potluck, then check these out!
Shamrock Tarts - St. Patrick's Day Dessert
- 2 -9 inch (23 cm round) rolled pie crusts - I use Pillsbury * or simply use frozen tart shells
- 32 g -pkg of instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp green food coloring * add more or less to achieve the color you want
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Green sparkling sugar or any green sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Unroll crust and flatten, then cut with cookie cutter * or alternatively use regular tart shells as per package directions
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray. Press pie crust into muffin tins and poke with fork a couple of times (on the bottom.)
- Bake for 5-6 mins on 450 degrees F or until lightly browned
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk and white chocolate pudding mix and mix for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer. In a separate mixing bowl, whip the whipping cream to soft peaks, then add sugar. Whip to stiff peaks.
- Stir flavorings into the whipped cream, then mix in the white chocolate pudding. Add food coloring.
- Fit pastry bag with 1M tip, fill with filling and fill each tart( or spoon in).
- Sprinkle with green sparkling sugar or any green sprinkles
This recipe is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!