For years I have regularly made chocolate chip pancakes for my kids. Chocolate Chip pancakes are their favorite breakfast and the most requested birthday breakfast (besides Birthday Cake Batter and Ice Cream Crepes), sleepover breakfast, back to school and weekend breakfast in our house! But I wanted to create my own version that was quicker and easier! These EASY Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Pancakes are just that. There's no standing over a hot stove top or flipping required. Simply pour and bake!
They are also great for feeding a crowd because you can make 12 at once. These pancakes can be also be made dairy-free and WW friendlier/lightened - see variations and substitutions.
The first time I tested these oven pancakes, they were a bit dense. So I made some adjustments and created fluffier pancakes that were a big hit with my testers!
You don’t have to use butter for a tender and fluffy pancakes. A lighter form of buttermilk (milk with a little vinegar), mixed with baking soda and baking powder makes these pancakes fluffier than the typical sheet pan pancake. This makes it lighter and easier to adjust for lactose intolerance or a dairy allergy.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- white sugar
- milk * I use 1%
- white vinegar
- cooking oil
- chocolate chips * I use milk chocolate
- vanilla extract
- Garnish: whipped cream, syrup, strawberries (optional)
*See recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Coat a 9x13 sheet pan/baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray (or use Wilton cake release - see Top Tip) ensuring to cover the sides and corners.
Add vinegar to milk, stir and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
In a separate medium bowl, whisk in the eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Mix wet egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
Then immediately pour the milk/vinegar into the batter and mix ingredients until combined *It will still be a little lumpy (not perfectly smooth)
Gently fold the chocolate chips into the pancakes batter.
Pour batter onto the prepared pan and spread out evenly with spatula.
Hint: Tap the sheet pan on the counter a few times to even out the batter and remove air bubbles, before putting it in the oven.
⏲️ Baking time
Bake for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester, inserted into the center, comes out clean and the pancakes are lightly browned.
Slice into 12 individual pancakes.
Garnish servings with strawberries, whipped cream, syrup and more chocolate chips or your favorite topping!
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Chocolate Chips - I use milk chocolate chips, but you could use semi-sweet or white chocolate chips
- WW friendlier - use sugar-free chocolate chips and a sugar substitute like monkfruit, if you desire. You can also replace the oil with the same amount of applesauce (this will make them a little chewier, but still delicious!)
- Milk - I use 1% milk, but you could use 2% or whole milk
- Oil - I use canola oil, but you could use vegetable oil instead
- Lactose-free/Dairy-free - use dairy-free chocolate chips and lactose free or dairy-free milk (almond or soy).
- Toppings: you could use different toppings like raspberries or blueberries, real maple syrup, a cranberry compote or even vanilla ice cream (if you really want to indulge)!
🥗 Side Dishes
- Old Fashioned Fruit Salad (with Honey Lime Dressing) (shown below)
- Air Fryer Turkey Sausage
For this sheet pan pancake recipe, you will need a rimmed baking sheet, mixing bowls, a whisk, a wooden spoon, a cake tester and a spatula, for scraping, a silicone spatula (affiliate links) for lifting pancakes off the sheet pan, also come in handy. You'll want to get one that's thin (a flipper) as it's easier to get under the pancake on the sheet pan.
Store these sheet-pan pancakes in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Freeze squares, laying flat in layers, between sheets of parchment paper, in a sealed container or Ziplock freezer bag, for up to 3 months.
👪 Serving Size
This easy breakfast recipe makes 12 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. If you make a big batch of pancakes (doubling or tripling the recipe) will need additional sheet pans.
Use Wilton cake release (affiliate link) to grease your sheet pan and guarantee that your pancakes won't stick!
If you are looking for easy fluffy sheet pan pancakes that the whole family will love, these sheet-pan chocolate chip pancakes are the recipe for you!
Did you make this chocolate chip sheet pan pancakes recipe? If you loved them please leave a 5 star rating and comment below.
📋 Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- whipped cream
- additional chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Coat a 9x13 sheet pan/baking sheet with nonstick spray ensuring to cover the sides and corners.
- Add vinegar to milk, stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk in the eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Mix wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Then immediately pour the milk into the batter and mix until combined. *It will still be a little lumpy (not perfectly smooth)
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour batter onto the prepared baking sheet. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to even out the batter.
- Bake for about 10 minutes (on the middle rack of the oven) or until a toothpick or cake tester, inserted into the center, comes out clean and the pancakes are golden brown on the bottom.
- Slice into 12 individual servings
- Serve with whipped cream and strawberries. Sprinkle chocolate chips over pancakes.