This quick and easy homemade Stovetop Apple Pie filling is the stovetop version of my award-winning apple pie filling! It’s a rich and creamy combination of fresh apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar with a hint of lemon. This precooked apple pie filling recipe can be used in place of canned apple pie filling in any recipe. You can use it in pies, tarts, or topping on breakfast items like pancakes and waffles, yogurt, or ice cream, or eat it straight up!
This recipe was inspired by my Award-winning Apple Pie Recipe, as it uses the same delicious flavor combination. When readers were asking me for a homemade apple pie filling (precooked) for my Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie Recipe, I thought I'd better create a homemade version! This Precooked Apple Pie Filling recipe is especially popular in the fall when apples are in season.
For this precooked filling, you'll need the following simple ingredients:
- white granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- unsalted butter
- lemon zest
- whipped cream
*See recipe card for quantities.
It's easy to make your own apple pie filling- just follow these simple steps:
Peel, core and slice apples.
In medium-sized pot on stovetop, melt butter over medium-low heat.
Add raw apple slices, sugars, cinnamon, and lemon zest.
In a small dish combine cornstarch and water.
Cook for about 12 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples softened.
Then add cornstarch with water and whipped cream.
Return to heat and continue cook on medium -low, stirring regularly, for 2-3 additional minutes, stirring until filling is thickened.
Let it bubble for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and cool.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Apple types - you can use any type of apples, including red delicious, gala apples, cosmic crisp, pink lady, golden delicious or Macintosh, or your favorite apples, but I use Granny Smith apples because they hold their shape and are therefore the best apples for apple pie filling
- Cutting apples- you can cut chunks of apples instead of slices, if you prefer
- Weight Watchers - use a light butter and a light whipped cream (spray cream) or use my WW friendly apple cinnamon topping instead!
- Whipped cream - you can use real whipped cream or whipped cream from a spray can or Cool Whip
- Dairy-free - use vegan margarine and ¼ teaspoon butter extract and a dairy-free whipped topping in place of whipping cream
Store this easy apple pie filling in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container or Ziploc freezer bag. When ready to use, defrost it in the fridge overnight.
👪 Serving Size
This delicious apple pie filling recipe makes 2 cups of apple pie filling, which is 8 (¼ cup) servings. However, you can half, double, or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
💭Ideas for Apple Pie Filling
Typically, this homemade apple filling recipe is used to replace canned apple pie filling in recipes. If you are making an apple pie from scratch, you don’t need to precook the filling.
Use this easy recipe for:
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie Recipe (shown) or a topping on regular cheesecake
- Serve over a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Use this recipe as a filling in Perogies instead of Saskatoon berry filling or blueberry filling
- Blind bake a pie crust and pour in, then top with dollops of whipped cream
- Top Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes or waffles
- Make apple hand pies
- Use it to top oatmeal
- Serve it over yogurt (shown below)
If you are lucky enough to have apple trees, and an abundance of apples or you're simply looking for an easy stovetop apple pie filling that tastes gourmet, you'll love this homemade version of my award-winning apple pie! And making your own filling is so much better than the canned version.
📋Stovetop Apple Pie Filling Recipe
- 3-4 LARGE peeled and cored thinly sliced green Granny Smith apples * like the size of the apple in the lead photo. If your apples are very small use more
- 6 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 dollops whipped cream * can use spray can whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
NOTE: The instruction images will NOT print by default. If you want them to print, you'll need to check the box beside "images" on the print page
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- In medium sized pot on stovetop, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add raw apples, sugars, cinnamon, and lemon zest.
- In a small dish combine cornstarch and water.
- Cook for about 12 minutes on medium low, stirring frequently, until apples softened, then add cornstarch with water and whipped cream.
- Return to heat and continue cook on medium -low, stirring regularly, for 2-3 additional minutes, stirring until filling is thickened.
- Let it bubble 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool.