Going through my calendar on Monday morning, I notice there's a potluck at work on Wednesday. Ugh. I'm not usually one to take it for granted when others cook for me and I generally get excited about potlucks at work because it means that I don't have to pack lunch, but not this time. Not this one. Not on the day before weigh day.
Sigh....and I was doing so well on Weight Watchers, already having lost 15 lbs. A table of temptation was the last thing I needed when I was already trying to recover from a weekend of overindulgence. Wednesday is crunch time; my final attempt to get it together for the week before facing the scale the next morning. In retrospect, I really wish I had thought of making these 1 point (blue plan) Tortilla Pinwheels to bring to the potluck!
So, I turned to my online WW connect group for suggestions. Most people said to bring something WW friendly so I'd have something to eat. But I was torn because... IT WASN'T MY TURN to bring anything and I honestly welcomed that break because I'm constantly preparing food for other people. I really really didn't want to make anything. Plus, I convinced myself that I'd find something low points enough to eat and that I could do this by skipping both breakfast and dinner that day. So... I took my chances. Big mistake. I really wish I had just sucked it up and made these.
These Weight Watchers Tortilla Pinwheels are not only delicious, they are easy to make and only 1 WW point each on the blue plan! You can also use leftover rotisserie chicken or canned chicken breast if you are short on time. I have also used canned chicken breast if I'm in a hurry! Fat-free cream cheese can also be substituted for low-fat cream cheese. And if you prefer a different color of pepper, feel free to use it instead of red! Green onions are also a great alternative to red onion. You can also switch up the type and color of tortilla you use.
I got this recipe from a friend back around 2001. I think that was during my first Weight Watchers stint and I have brought it to many-a-party/potluck since that time. But I haven't seen it around for a while, so I thought it needed to be resurrected. I love to resurrect recipes! And especially recipes that are only (1) ONE WW point on blue!
Potlucks are not easy when you're on Weight Watchers...
Weight Watchers has changed a lot since I first started on it 20 years ago! This time 'round I have found the program so much easier, especially given that fish, chicken and eggs are ZERO points! If you want to give it a try, here's some information on the WW Program . To date, I have lost 20 lbs and am keeping it off!
But it's still challenging to come up with Weight Watchers friendly potluck recipes that everyone will like, especially those that aren't on Weight Watchers. And that's why these Chicken Tortilla Roll ups are the best! They don't taste like they are only 1 WW point! In fact, they are so good, that when I made them for this blog post, even my kids loved them so much that they ate them all up before I could take them to work!
Tortilla roll ups are really easy to make and you don't have to worry about heating them up when you get to the party or potluck. That's also why they make a great summer appetizer! You can even grill the chicken or used leftover rotisserie chicken so you don't have to heat up your house. So, if you are looking for easy pinwheel recipes, then give this Weight Watchers chicken appetizer a try. They are simple (only 5 ingredients) but oh so delicious!
- chicken breast
- cream cheese
- red onion
- red pepper
When I got to the potluck that Wednesday, I was so starved from skipping breakfast that I ate way more than I should have. Plus, there really wasn't anything Weight Watchers friendly. And sadly, the scale was not my friend the next morning and I gained that week. So, the moral of the story is: if you are on Weight Watchers, bring at least one dish that's Weight Watchers friendly to the potluck, even if it's not your turn!
If you are looking for other healthy, easy and Weight Watchers friendly appetizers/potluck dishes, give this Hummus a try (see MORE WW friendly potluck dishes at bottom of post)
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
📋 Tortilla Pinwheels Recipe
- 4 - 10 inch tortillas tomato flavour
- 2 cups chicken (2 chicken breasts), finely chopped or shredded * you can substitute rotisserie chicken or canned chicken breast
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- ¾ cup red onion (1 medium red onion) finely chopped
- 8 tablespoon light cream cheese * I use the spreadable (or substitute non fat cream cheese)
- Grill chicken breasts and chop finely or shred. Mix onion, chicken and red pepper together.
- Spread 2 tablespoons light cream cheese over each tortilla, as you would jam. Then spread a layer of the mixture on each tortilla. Repeat until mixture has been used.
- Roll tortilla in half, as shown.
- Then gently pull back to the edge and start rolling from there
- Continue rolling tightly.
- Continue rolling until you get to the edge
- When you get to the edge, add a little more cream cheese, so it will stick together.
- Roll right up and place seam side down.
- Wrap in saran wrap and place tortillas in fridge for one hour
- Cut off the ends (with no filling)
- Slice into ¾ inch slices and serve! * You can use a measuring tape to ensure you have equal sized pieces.