The Miami Vice Cocktail
Mocktails for kids
Non Alcoholic Summer Drinks
Although my kids are are growing up too fast, they aren't quite grown up enough for alcohol. And since I like to make them special drinks, I loved this drink so much that I wanted to share that joy with them, in a wholesome non-alcoholic way, with this Miami Vice Mocktail!
Canada Day Red & White Drink
And even though the Miami Vice obviously has American roots, it's still the perfect red and white Canada Day drink!
As a University Student I worked a summer job where I planned recreational activities for adults with disabilities. One of our activities was a trip to a water park, which ended with me and one of these poor young people grinding to a halt in the middle of a slide; for some reason, there wasn't enough water coming down the slide to propel us forward. And after several minutes of panic and mad paddling, I saw an enormous shape careening towards us. And that was the end of my love affair with water slides.
I will never forget the moment the extremely large woman crashed into us, sending us spiraling out of control down the remainder of the tube. Although we only suffered very minor injuries, there was a lot of snot, tears and even some blood. But most importantly, there was psychological injury (aka water slide hatred). And from that day forward, I have not enjoyed water parks in the same way.
Miami Vice Drink
Half Strawberry Daiquiri and half Pina Colada, this delicious, frozen drink hybrid know as a Miami Vice Mocktail is a delicious non alcoholic version of the favorite Miami Vice drink (cocktail.) It' s a cool and refreshing summer drink and the perfect red and white Canada Day drink. It can also be spiked for those that prefer it with alcohol.
And thanks to the The Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells and their consideration for all the adults in tow (via lazy rivers, swim up bars and Miami Vice drinks), I have acquired a whole new appreciation for water parks, so much so that we're even planning on going back this summer! And although many years have passed since that traumatic experience, I'll still be sticking to the swim up bars, lazy rivers and Miami Vices, while my independent kids enjoy all the joy the water slides bring to their lives.
And now I've turned this famous cocktail and refreshing summer drink into a mocktail for my kids to enjoy! And did they ever....
So, if you are looking for other non-alcoholic drinks for your kids (that can easily be spiked for the grown-ups) then give these a try!
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links) I have the Hamilton Beach Blender and I love it!
Miami Vice Mocktail
- lime slice, halved
- maraschino cherries with stems
- Add pina colada and ice to blender and blend for 20-30 second, until blended.
- Pour into jug and place in the freezer while you make the strawberry daiquiri portion.
- Rinse blender thoroughly.
- Add strawberry daiquiri mix and frozen strawberries together and blend until smooth/no lumps.
- Mix rum extract with pina colada mixture. * if you want to separate some and add regular rum to it, this would be the time to do that.
- Pour pina colada mixture into bottom half of the glass, dividing between both glasses.
- Then add stawberry dacquiri mix to other half of each glass. Push down strawberry mixture on one side and stir slightly with a spoon or straw to get desired look.
- Garnish with half a slice of lime and a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately. *Keep mixture frozen when not using
This recipe is part of The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck!