If you love sweet potato fries, you're going to love this recipe! It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to restaurant food. And I’ll be honest, almost every time I leave a restaurant, I leave disappointed thinking, "I could have made that sooo much better myself!” But that was not what happened at Moxie's.
This Moxie's Sweet Potato Fries is one of those recipes. You can bake them or make them in the air fryer. And they pair perfectly with my copycat Moxie's Mayo Garlic Dip! They also make a great side dish or snack any time of year!
- sweet potatoes (yams)
- cajun seasoning
- kosher salt
- olive oil (baking) or non-propellant cooking spray (air fryer)
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Cajun seasoning: If you don't have Cajun seasoning, use creole seasoning or chili powder
- Kosher salt - you can substitute another coarse salt, such as sea salt
- Oil - you can substitute another light vegetable oil if you are baking. If you are using the air fryer, use a non-propellant oil with a high smoke point (avocado or canola are best)
We were down at the Lethbridge Moxie's this summer having a drink on the patio when we ordered some of their sweet potato fries and dipping sauce. If you’re not familiar with Moxie’s, it’s a Canadian restaurant chain that's comparable to the American chain “Original Joe’s.” At the time, I wasn't even a big fan of sweet potato fries. However, it was the snackiest item on the menu, so I went with it. After one bite of these, my family's collective reaction was, "Wow. That those fries with that dip!" We obviously ordered a second round - they were that good! And it wasn’t just the craft beer talking... Although, they do go really well with craft beer...
How to make Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat oven temperature to 450 degrees F or 232 degrees C (with baking sheet inside)
- Peel large sweet potatoes and slice with french fry potato cutter/chipper or sharp knife.
- *NOTE: * I find it easiest to peel them away from me.
Place cut and raw sweet potato fries in a large bowl, add olive oil, salt and Cajun seasoning, and toss to coat.
Spread on preheated baking sheet and bake for 15- 20 minutes or until slightly crisp and cooked through (a fork can easily go through)
If they are still not crisp enough on top for your liking (and you like really crispy fries), but they're browned on the bottom and cooked through, then turn the oven up to broil (500 degrees F) and cook for about 2 more minutes, keeping a close eye on them to ensure they don't burn.
How to make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries:
Cut fries (a chipper is the best way to cut sweet potatoes evenly- I find it makes a big difference) or you can use a knife
Spray the bottom of air fryer drawer or air fryer basket with oil
Spray with non-propellant oil (avocado oil or canola oil) and sprinkle with salt and Cajun seasoning (use ½ now and half after you've cooked it for 10 minutes)
Air fry at 390 degrees F/198 degrees C for 10 minutes.
Shake, spray and sprinkle again and cook for additional 10 minutes. *Cooking times may vary based on the type of air fryer you have. I have an Ninja air fryer
💭What to serve with Sweet Potato Fries
These healthy fries make a great side dish and pair well with the following main dishes:
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches (shown below)
- Air Fryer Roast Chicken (with lemon, rosemary and garlic)
- Salmon Fillet Burgers (with frozen salmon)
- Greek Chicken Souvlaki
- Sloppy Joes
- Tuna Burgers
- Slow Cooker Beef on a Bun
You will need a sheet pan (rimmed baking sheet), a large bowl or alternatively, you could make these in the air fryer! (affiliate link). I also use a potato chipper (affiliate link) because it is so much easier and you get uniform fries.
This recipe serves 6. But if you want to half, double or triple the recipe, simply click on the blue servings and choose how many servings you'd like (the recipe amounts will adjust accordingly).
When you make these in the air fryer, they are @ 0 WW points with a 5-second spray of Chosen Avocado oil (do 3 seconds first spray, then 2 seconds in the middle of the cooking time, before shaking).
Store leftover spicy fries in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Or cool and freeze in an airtight container or Ziplock freezer bag for up to 3 months.
So if you also love this Moxie's recipe, then you’re going to love being able to make these Sweet Potato Fries yourself at home. They really are the perfect snack!
⭐ COMMENTS & REVIEWS
Did you know that commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite recipe creators? If you loved this recipe, please comment and rate it in the recipe card or share photos on social media using the hashtag #foodmeanderings or tagging @foodmeanderings !
📋 Spicy Sweet Potato Fries Recipe (Moxie's Copycat)
- 3-4 large large sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil *or use non-propellant spray (avocado or canola) if air frying
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (affiliate link)
- 2 teaspoon coarse salt (sea salt or Kosher salt) *I use sea salt
- *NOTE: The photos in this recipe card will NOT print unless you set them to print by selecting "recipe image"Peel sweet potatoes and slice with french fry potato cutter/chipper. NOTE: * I find it easiest to peel them away from me.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. (with baking sheet inside)
- Place cut and raw sweet potato fries in a large bowl, add olive oil, salt and cajun seasoning and toss to coat.
- Spread on preheated baking sheet and bake for 15- 20 minutes or until slightly crisp and cooked through (a fork can easily go through).
- If they are still not crisp enough on top for your liking, but they're browned on the bottom and cooked through, then turn the oven up to broil (500 degrees F) and cook for about 2 more minutes, keeping a close eye on them to ensure they don't burn.
- **Add additional salt to your liking. Serve with Mayo Garlic Dip.
Air Fryer Method
- Cut fries (a chipper is the best way to cut sweet potatoes evenly) or you can use a knifeSpray the bottom of air fryer drawer with oil
- Spray with non-propellant oil (avocado or canola) and sprinkle with salt and Cajun seasoning. *Use half the salt and seasoning now and half for the remainder of the cooking time.Air fry at 390 degrees F/198 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Shake, spray with oil and sprinkle again with salt and spice and cook for additional 10 minutes.*Cooking times may vary based on the type of air fryer you have.