Moxie’s is one of my fave places to eat! And when I’m trying to be good (meaning, not having a burger and fries) their Grilled Steak Salad with Goat Cheese and Clamato Dressing is my ‘go-to’ order!
It’s healthy, yet meaty, filling and delicious. But it’s still light and relatively Weight Watchers friendly. And because I love this salad so much, I have created a VERY Weight Watchers Friendly and Healthy Copycat Grilled Steak Salad with Feta & Clamato Dressing recipe.
Grilling season is upon us and so is Father’s Day. And if there’s one thing Dad likes, it’s “meaty”! So, if you want to make Dad happy and help him (and you) stay healthy and on track, make him this Grilled Steak Salad. And if you’re following weight watchers, it will keep you happy to at only 7 weight watchers smart points (blue plan) per serving!
If you’re not familiar with Moxie’s, it’s a Canadian restaurant chain. And if you’re ever visiting Canada, it’s worth checking out a Moxie’s restaurant, which are in most major Canadian cities (there are 6 locations in Calgary). I’d say it pretty comparable to the American chain “Original Joe’s.”
I have been meaning to try to replicate this Steak Salad recipe for years. So, when I googled it and saw that others had tried to create a similar Clamato salad dressing, I was intrigued. I then made my own adjustments and this is the result! Although I’m not sure memory serves me correctly (I haven’t had this salad in a few years) and it may not be exact copy cat recipe, it’s still darn good! My family loved this salad and didn’t have their own memories of the Moxie’s steak salad and had nothing to compare it to, and they thought it tasted great!
Difference between Feta and Goat Cheese:
The excellent thing about this salad is that it has less fat and calories than the original Moxie’s salad and only 7 Weight Watchers Smart Points (using regular feta). I use light feta cheese, which brings down the points even further (although my nutritional calculator won’t pick it up). But even if you use regular feta instead of goat cheese (which Moxie’s uses) there’s still a pretty substantial difference in fat and calories. Although goat cheese is super dreamy creamy and I love it, you can use it, but it’s going to bump up the points. Here is a breakdown:
|Goat Cheese||Feta Cheese (regular)|
Feta is a bit tangier and saltier, but it’s still really delicious in this salad. And scientific research has shown that feta contains friendly bacteria (similar to yogurt) that makes antibiotics which help kill Listeria – a food poisoning causing bacteria. If you want to learn more about the differences between goat cheese and feta cheese, click HERE.
I’m not sure what else they put in the original Moxie’s Salad to bump up the calories but according My Fitness Pal, it has 610 calories and 38g of fat per serving and is 20 smart points (if you eat the entire thing!) compared to my recipe at 7 Smart Points. However, if you order the salad with the dressing on the side and only add a little (which is what I do at Moxie’s), it will obviously reduce the smart points. Source
Copycat Steak Salad
If you are looking for other healthy recipes to make for Father’s Day (without turning on your oven) that you and Dad will love, then check out my:
Grilled Steak Salad (Moxie's copycat) with Goat Cheese and Clamato Dressing
- 2 10 oz steaks (approximately sized 8-10 oz ) (I use Ribeye or New York)
- 1 10 oz package of spring mix
- 1 red onion medium sized, 1/2 cut in circles, then in 1/2
- 3/4 cup croutons
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup feta cheese * I use light feta
- Season steak with salt and pepper (if desired) and grill on medium hot grill until pink inside or it reaches desired doneness (4-6 minutes on each side approximately for medium rare to medium, but will depend on your grill and thickness of steak).
- Remove from grill and slice into thin pieces.
- Toss spring mix, red onion and grape tomatoes together in large bowl. Add croutons and crumble on feta cheese. Add slices of steak.
- Pour Clamato juice into small saucepan and heat on stove top on medium until reduced to 1/4 cup
- Mix remaining ingredients together with reduced Clamato juice and slowly add olive oil. Serve over salad, as much as desired.