This Candy Cane Hot Chocolate (in a Jar) is a great last minute edible Christmas gift and tastes delicious! The best part is that it's also very easy for the receiver of this lovely homemade handmade edible Christmas gift to make. They just empty the contents of the jar into a pot of milk and water and have a delicious homemade hot chocolate in 10 minutes!
Popular during the holiday season, this hot chocolate edible gift is easy to make in 15 minutes, and a festive and a fun treat to gift teachers, your coworkers, neighbors and friends! Or you can simply make it for yourself (and/or the kids) to sip away at while watching a holiday movie!
For this homemade hot chocolate mix, you'll need:
- powdered milk
- unsweetened cocoa
- candy canes *crushed
- red and/or green sanding sugar (affiliate links) *you can also make your own (see variations)
- white chocolate chips
See recipe card for quantities.
For this hot chocolate recipe, you will need 500 ml/16 oz wide mouth mason jars (affiliate link) or 1 pint canning jars *you could use any jar, as long as it's this capacity, a rolling pin (or a hammer or meat tenderizer), red string, (affiliate link) bows and tags.
You can buy some simple tags (affiliate link), handwrite or print the directions on them (my printer was broken so I had to write it out by hand). Or you can also order really awesome tags from Etsy that you can have personalized, then download and print (affiliate link).
This homemade hot chocolate mix is easy to make with a few ingredients layered into a jar.
- Stir together dry milk powder and cornstarch. In a 500 ml/16 oz wide mouth mason jar (or any jar this capacity), layer half the milk mixture.
- Add cocoa.
- Add remaining milk mixture.
- Add red colored sanding sugar.
- Add green colored sanding sugar.
- Break candy canes into a few smaller pieces and place in a thick ziplock bag.
- Place bag of candy canes on a cutting board and roll over with a rolling pin. You can also crush with a meat tenderizer or hammer.
- Add candy canes pieces.
- Add white chocolate chips.
Hint: When you are adding each layer, use a spoon to gently pour the ingredient evenly on top of the layer underneath, then gently tap the jar on the table.
Seal with lid. Then I add a little bow, a little ziplock baggie of extra sprinkles and a small candy cane (to add as the garnish on this Candy Cane Hot Chocolate)
☕To make Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
- Set a medium sized pot on stovetop.
- Pour contents chocolate drink mix in jar into pot.
- Combine 3 cups whole milk and ¾ cups hot water in pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking.
- Reduce heat to low, cook, stirring often.
- When slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes, it will be ready.
If desired, serve with whipped cream, sprinkles and candy canes
📖Substitutions & Variations
- Lactose-free or Dairy-free - use lactose-free or dairy-free powdered milk (affiliate links)
- Sanding sugar- you can make your own colored sanding sugar
- Candy Canes - you can use different colors or flavors of candy canes (i.e. cherry)
This recipe for hot chocolate jars makes 1 gift jar (2 cups of dry mix and fits into a 500 ml/16 oz jar).
When the mix is made into hot chocolate (add the milk and water), it yields 4 cups of candy cane hot chocolate. However, you can double it, triple or quadruple it by adjusting the serving size on the recipe card - you'll need more jars. Just click on the blue serving size (it's highlighted in blue) and select the number of servings you’d like and the ingredient amounts will adjust accordingly.
Store this hot chocolate mix for up to 3 months in a cool dry place. Once prepared, the hot chocolate will store in the fridge in a sealed juice container for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave for 1- 1 ½ minutes.
Hot Chocolate in a Jar is an easy, fun and festive gift to give and receive. So, if you're looking for an easy edible gift, you'll love this Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Mix!
Did you make this hot cocoa recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
lease SUBSCRIBE (get my FREE E-cookbook) and be sure to FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST!
📋 Candy Cane Hot Chocolate (in a Jar) Recipe
- ¾ cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup red and/or green decorating sugar
- 4 red, green and white candy canes crushed
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- whipped cream
- red and green sprinkles
- small crushed candy cane
- Stir together dry milk powder and cornstarch.
- In a 500 ml/16 oz wide mouth mason jar (or any jar this capacity), layer half the milk mixture, cocoa, remaining milk mixture, colored sugar (s), crushed candy canes and white chocolate chips.
- Seal with lid. Then I add a little bow, a little ziplock baggie of extra sprinkles and a small candy cane (to add as the garnish on this Candy Cane Hot Chocolate)
- For gift tag:To make hot chocolate:Combine 3 cups milk and ¾ cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking. Reduce heat to low, cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. If desired, serve with whipped cream, sprinkles and candy canes.*Visit https://foodmeanderings.com/candycanehotchocolate for step by step directions* Makes 4 cups
What a fun project for gift giving. I'd much rather give (and get) something homemade than spend countless hours in the mall.
I agree, Bernice! And the mall this year was far from the best place to be!
Thank you! I was looking for last minute homemade gift ideas for neighbours and I'm tired of baking, lol. These jars are perfect!
That's great, Colleen! I agree - you get to a point where you want to give something other than baking 🙂
The layering looks so beautiful! Such a great, easy gift that will definitely be appreciated after a day out in the cold!
oh my gosh what a sweet gift idea. Hot chocolate is always better with a little mint flavour anyway!
Thanks, Melissa! I agree 🙂
I love this fun and festive hot chocolate! It will be a great gift for my kids.
what a fun idea! all the kids loved it!
Glad to hear that, Nancy!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
What an adorable homemade gift idea! I can't wait to make these next Christmas!!