Hoisin and orange flavors wed to create a mouth-watering, quick and easy, healthy chicken dish in just 20 minutes! Commonly used in Asian cooking and often referred to as 'Chinese BBQ sauce', hoisin is such a versatile and delicious sauce. And this Orange Hoisin Chicken is one of my all-time favorite chicken dishes! And it's also Weight Watchers friendly.
This hoisin chicken is popular any time of the year, but perfect for a special occasion, Valentine's day, or Sunday dinner.
Quick Staple Dishes are the best! I have many staple dishes and this one is up there in my top 5. I have been making it for a very long time.
For this hoisin sauce chicken recipe, you'll need:
- vegetable oil
- boneless and skinless chicken breast
- oranges (zest and juice)
- hoisin sauce
- red pepper flakes
- carrot, chives, and radicchio (optional garnishes)
*see recipe card for quantities
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Meat: I have made it with both pork chops, pork loin, and chicken, depending on what I have on hand. You could use chicken thighs as well. However, you'll want to use chicken breast if you want to keep the WW points down
- Orange juice: I prefer to use freshly squeezed, but I have used store-bought, as well as 5 Alive juice from concentrate, as well
- Oil - you could use sesame oil, canola oil, olive oil, or another type of oil instead of vegetable oil
- Garnish: you could use sesame seeds or green onions
This orange hoisin sauce for chicken is very simple:
- Add oil and garlic to the skillet; cook for 1 minute.
- Combine orange zest and juice, hoisin sauce, and hot pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Add to skillet and bring to a boil; stirring for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
You will need a large skillet for this hoisin chicken recipe. An instant-read thermometer (affiliate links) also comes in handy, as the best way to check for doneness is by internal temperature. The internal temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees F (74 degrees C)
💭 Top tip
Serve this Hoisin chicken with orange sauce with noodles and steamed asparagus (and while the chicken cooks, why not minimize the clutter and clean up by steaming some asparagus on top of the boiling water for the noodles?) Or steam asparagus in the microwave (see VIDEO below). Drizzle some of the sauce over the noodles for extra flavor!
🥗 Side dishes
- Quick thin noodles (I used Chinese Chow Mein noodles that cook in 3 minutes)
- Brown rice
- Quick Cucumber Kimchi
- Skinny Coleslaw
- Steamed veggies (asparagus is quick and tasty and can be steamed in the microwave for 3-5 minutes)
- Green beans and Mushrooms
👪 Serving Size
And that's why this hoisin sauce chicken recipe is 4 servings. However, it can always be reduced to 2 or you have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day and really you can't go wrong with that * ALL MY RECIPES HAVE ADJUSTABLE SERVINGS- just click on the blue servings amount and select the number of servings you'd like, then the ingredient amounts will adjust accordingly. I actually double it so I can have leftovers.
This easy recipe is Weight Watchers friendly @ 3 WW points per serving.
Store this chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
By the way, it is kid tested, approved, and highly recommended. A home-cooked meal is a great way to show your love on Valentine's Day and this Hoisin Orange Chicken dinner is the perfect recipe.
If you want to stay on track and are looking for a healthy dessert to go with your healthy meal, then try my Healthy & Light Strawberry Chocolate Icebox Cake for Two. It's also Weight Watchers friendly.
This Hoisin Orange Chicken is a healthy, delicious and elegant dinner for a weeknight or special occasion. So if you're looking for a hoisin sauce for chicken breast this is a great recipe!
📋Orange Hoisin Chicken Recipe
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- clove garlic or jarred minced garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup orange juice Note: I use whatever I have on hand. I prefer to freshly squeeze the orange juice, as you only need 1-2 oranges, but I will use Five Alive tropical juice boxes if that's all I happen to have in the house!
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- orange wedges or slices optional
- carrot cut outs/chips optional, chive sprigs and long Italian radicchio
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium - high heat: cook chicken, turning once, for a 8-10 minutes (this will depend on the thickness of the chicken breast) or until golden on each side and no longer pink inside. Transfer to plate keep warm.
- Add garlic to skillet; cook for 1 minute. Combine orange zest and juice, hoisin sauce and hot pepper flakes. Add to skillet and bring to a boil; stirring for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Return chicken to skillet, turning to coat ; heat through