I’m a huge fan of dessert shots! I really like that this mini dessert recipe in shot glasses is small so you can indulge without the guilt. They are miniature, cute, no bake and can be made in 15 minutes. And best of all they have Baileys Irish Cream in them (or use Irish Cream extract if you want to avoid the alcohol) AND chocolate in the form of 2 bite brownies.
It's fun to make holiday themed food, especially St. Paddy's Day green desserts with irish cream! But easy green dessert recipe ideas are not always easy to come by and that's exactly why I created these St. Patrick's day Irish Cream Dessert Shooters! Just be mindful of who you feed it to if you decide to use alcohol. A recent blunder taught me that you need to be particularly cognizant of who you're cooking for.
For this Irish dessert recipe, you'll need:
- vanilla instant pudding
- Baileys Irish cream
- green food coloring
- whipped cream
- 2 bite brownies
- white granulated sugar
- gold sprinkles
See recipe card for amounts
You may or may not want to feed this dessert to your kids. I do and am not concerned, as there is a scant amount of alcohol in it (1.5 tablespoon for 12 dessert shots).
But without even thinking, I recently brought my boozy kahlua and caffeine infused No Bake Black Forest Tiramisu dessert to a family BBQ potluck for my kids' dance school back in the fall. Doh!
📖 Variations & Substitutions
Like I said, I'm not worried about my kids consuming the little amount of alcohol in this recipe, but if you have toddlers, you're probably going to feel a bit different! So if you are concerned or do not consume alcohol, you CAN get Irish Cream Extract and use it as a substitute in Baileys recipes. You don't actually have to use the alcohol.
My kids are my testers so they try pretty much everything I make. They would be pretty upset if they didn't get to test a recipe, especially a delicious dessert. But my daughter did ask, "I am going to get drunk?" She's 10. I assured her that wouldn't happen.
- You can make this dessert a day or two in advance, but I do not recommend you put it together until just prior to serving. Store the whipped cream, pudding and brownies in separate containers.
- This recipe does NOT freeze well.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe serves 12.You can also cut this recipe in half by adjusting the serving size on the recipe card. Just click on the serving size (it's highlighted in blue) and select the number of servings you’d like.
Cook for your Crowd!
Luckily before I arrived at the family BBQ I remembered that I'd be feeding my alcohol and caffeine spiked dessert to a group of kids and stuck up a sign warning parents that it contained these ingredients. Although the amount of alcohol or caffeine wasn't a concern to me (I'd feed it to my kids), there are parents out there that may not appreciate finding out about that after the fact. Fortunately no one at this particular family function appeared phased by it (at least that I could see) so that was a relief. But there are many family friendly events I could reflect back on where I'd probably be lynched with that move.
More often than not, I'm cooking with my blog in mind, as I'm trying to fit my recipe posts into my real life. I needed to photograph my Black Forest Tiramisu recipe again, as my old one was hideous and since it makes a great potluck dessert, I decided to do it then. But I learned that more importantly, you need to cook for your crowd!
But rest assured, these shot glass desserts, made with Baileys alcohol (or irish cream extract) will definitely please any crowd, with or without the alcohol! They are the ultimate St. Patrick' day treat. So, if you are looking for Irish desserts, a Baileys Irish cream recipe and/or green dessert ideas, this is your easy and green St. Patrick's Day dessert.
💭 Top tips
How to get perfectly piped whipped cream
If you're not sure how to use a 1M piping tip:
And if you don't know how to fill a pasty bag:
Green food coloring: It's important to use an icing color (and not a green food coloring from the grocery store) in order to achieve the green hue you need for this dessert. You can buy the icing colors off Amazon, at Michael's Arts & Crafts and even some dollar stores. My local Dollar store/party store carries them
And since easy St. Patrick's Day Green desserts are hard to come by, here's another one for your back pocket;
And if you love Baileys recipes, you'll love my Baileys Irish Cream Overnight French Toast!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
☘️ Shamrock Irish Cream Dessert Shots
- ½ of a 30 g -pkg of fat free jello vanilla instant pudding mix
- ¾ cup 1 % milk
- 1.5 tablespoon Bailey's Irish Cream (or substitute ½ teaspoon Irish Cream extract) -you can add more to taste if this isn't strong enough
- ⅛ teaspoon green food/icing coloring **Kelly green is best icing/food colouring
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 12 -2 bite brownies cut in half
- gold sprinkles
- whipped cream (half reserved from ¾ cup)
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- Prepare only ½ pkg vanilla pudding as directed on package, but with only ¾ cup milk ** If you decide to make up the entire pkg of pudding and use the reminder for something else, use 1 ¾ cup of milk
- Whip the whipping cream to soft peaks with hand mixer. Set aside about ½ of the whipping cream, then add Bailey's Irish Cream to the other half and whip to stiff peaks.
- Fold whipped cream/irish cream mixture into pudding and add food/icing colouring.
- With remaining whipped cream (that will be your garnish) add 1 white granulated sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Set aside for garnish.
- Cut each 2 bite brownie in half and take bottom ½ of brownie and press into bottom of shot glass, then add a little Shamrock pudding. Repeat for all 12, dividing it equally by remainder of shot glasses. ** Just make sure you leave enough space to add the other half of the brownie.
- Press top half of brownies into the top of each shot glass. You may have a little left over pudding mix, so if there's room in your shot glass, you can add a dollop on top of the 2nd half of the brownie
- Garnish with swirled whipped cream. (see notes for how to pipe a swirl of whipped cream onto your dessert shots) and scatter on gold sprinklesServe immediately or can remain in fridge for several hours or overnight to soften (this is best)