I have been making this healthy and easy Zucchini Crisp for years and I thought it was time to share it! It's a delicious zucchini dessert that tastes like apple crisp, but uses a lot of shredded zucchini instead. It's also super healthy and easy to make, as well as a nice change from traditional apple crisp.
This mock apple crisp recipe is very popular during zucchini season at the end of summer and is a real crowd pleaser. My version is a little lighter and healthier than others, WW friendly and can be lightened up even more and made dairy-free or gluten-free (see substitutions and variations). This recipe was inspired by my Weight Watchers Apple Crisp on this site. If you're looking for zucchini recipes for dessert, you'll love this one!
Because zucchini has a mellow flavor, it tends to take on the taste of the flavors it's cooked with. That's why it's ideal as a mock apple filling in this crisp. You'll find the ingredients in this zucchini dessert almost identical to apple crisp.
- shredded zucchini (fresh or frozen)
- brown sugar
- lemon zest
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup *I use reduced sugar
- Light real whipped cream * I use Gay Lea brand (aerosol)
*See printable recipe card for quantities.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini (fine shredding is best, if you use a food processor and have the option)
In a large bowl, combine zucchini, brown sugar, lemon zest, maple syrup, vanilla extract, water, cornstarch and cinnamon.
Pour zucchini mixture into baking dish then dot with spray whipped cream.
In a separate bowl, combine, oats, flour, cinnamon and remaining ¼ cup brown sugar. Cut in butter (*an easy way is to use a cheese grater- see HINT below) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle crumb topping over zucchini mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 -40 minutes or until golden brown.
Hint: Use a cheese grater to grate frozen (or very cold) butter into topping instead of fussing with cubes of cold butter. This also distributes the butter more evenly in the topping.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Zucchini- you can use frozen zucchini, fresh zucchini or zucchini slices (slice as you would apple slices for crisp) instead of shredded zucchini
- Brown Sugar - you can use light or dark brown sugar
- Lighter/WW friendly- Use a light butter and sugar substitute (if you use them)
- Dairy-free - use vegan margarine or plant-based butter substitute
- Gluten-free - use a gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour
For this zucchini dessert crisp, you'll need a 9X13 baking dish and either a food processor (affiliate links) or a box grater for shredding. I like using a food processor because I can grate a lot of zucchini much faster and finer.
Store this zucchini apple crisp in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. This dessert freezes well in an airtight container for up to 3 months. It can simply be heated up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
👪 Serving Size
This shredded zucchini recipe makes 10 (⅔ cup) servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
This recipe is Weight Watchers friendly @ 8 WW points on my plan (⅔ cup serving) and I get extra points for the zucchini. However, you can further reduce the points by using a light butter and/or sugar substitute like Monkfruit. Plug the ingredients into the recipe builder on the ww app to see how much it is on your plan.
Shred your zucchini and freeze it in Ziplock freezer bags. Just be sure defrost, drain, squeeze out excess liquid before measuring for your recipe!
The great thing about shredded zucchini is that you don't have to peel it before you shred it, everything (seeds, peel, flesh and flowers) are all edible and it's loaded with nutrients! Nor do you have to blanch it if you are shredding and freezing. You just need to wash it and cut off the ends before shredding.
Shredded zucchini also freezes well and you can use it in many recipes, like my Shredded Zucchini and Feta Sauté (shown below) and Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies. You can even drop it straight into soup or sauce as a filler. I use it in my One pot hamburger soup all the time, and even in Spaghetti Sauce!
❔ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you have too much zucchini, you can shred it and make a sautéed zucchini, zucchini muffins, zucchini bread or zucchini crisp, or you can use it as a filler in soup or freeze it in 2 cup portions in Ziplock freezer bags.
This Zucchini Crisp is a great way to use up extra zucchini in a delicious treat that's easy to make and healthy!
Did you make this crisp dessert ? Please RATE THE RECIPE below
📋Zucchini Crisp (with shredded zucchini) Recipe
- 8 cups shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup (reduced sugar)
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoon light real whipped cream * I use Gay Lea brand spray can - it's 1 pt for 4 tbsps
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C ). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini (fine)
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, ¼ cup of the brown sugar, lemon zest, maple syrup, vanilla extract, water, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Mix together.
- Pour zucchini mixture into baking dish then dot with spray whipped cream.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (oats, flour, cinnamon and remainder of brown sugar). Cut in butter (or grate - see HINT) until mixture resembles coarse crumb.
- HINT: * an easy way to cut in butter, is to use a grater with cold or ideally frozen butter
- Sprinkle crumb topping over zucchini mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 -40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream, cinnamon and lemon peel, if desired. Or serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!